Friday, August 6, 2010

I.O.A.B (Interning on a budget)


by: Elyse Siwinski

Life on a college budget isn’t always champagne wishes and caviar dreams. For those who might not fully understand what I mean by a “college budget”, let me paint the picture. Wednesday night is $1 burger night, the highlight of my week because for $3 I can get a burger, French fries, and sometimes I even splurge and add avocado. However, the best part about Wednesday night is that those $1 burgers bring my financially struggling college family together. Food allows us to connect, to laugh with one another and to share memories. Maybe this is why I LOVE interning for Common Threads.

When I applied for my internship with Common Threads I wasn’t 100% sure what the organization did, but I knew it had something to do with food and teaching kids how to cook. Anything food related, especially if was going to enhance my resume, made me think, “When do I start?” It was at my interview that I learned Common Thread’s mission, and knew right then and there I wanted to be a part of this organization. I thought teaching children about nutrition and culture through food was a great idea, but showing them how to do it on a budget (hey, I knew a thing or two about that) was outstanding.

Throughout my time at Common Threads I learned a lot, and although my internship has almost come to an end, I recently realized I have more than a few things in common with the students:

1) We both light up when we talk about Common Threads.
2) Common Threads is somewhere we look forward to going.
3) Food has brought us happiness, friendship, and great memories.
4) Our families are proud of what we have learned at Common Threads.
5) We are lucky to have been given the opportunity to be a part of the Common Threads family.

But perhaps the greatest thing the students and I will ever have in common… it’s not so easy saying good bye to Common Threads.

No comments:

Post a Comment